Monday, August 19, 2013

Clearing a hurdle

You don't look so excited...

You must swamped with chores now (add sympathetic frown)

Why aren't you throwing a fancy wedding?

She won't be wearing a wedding dress!? (Gasp!)

You won't be going on a honeymoon?? Are you crazy?

What do you mean you're giving away the TV set once you get married?

WHY AREN'T YOU EXCITED DAMNIT!

The greatest difficulty I faced ever since me and Irene decided to get married has been trying to answer the ridiculous questions thrown at me by narrow-minded people.

For one, I do not believe in making a huge deal out of an bureaucratic procedure. The state wants to keep tabs on who's having sex with who, that's fine by me. But I really think the "ooh"s and "aah"s and the fireworks and the cake and the balloons and six thousand doves released to symbolize our endless love... yeah, I think that's a lot of bullshit.

I want to get married to Irene, I love her, and we would have gotten married eventually. But right now, it's just another hurdle to clear in order to move to Taiwan.

And so far, we're doing great. Wedding date is set, invitations are almost done (hand-made I might add), outfits are already chosen.. and yes.. that's it.

Once we are married, we're going to apply to the Taiwan consulate to start our immigration procedures.. Now, that's something to be excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment