Friday, October 25, 2013

The Nest

Tomorrow's the big day. We are FINALLY getting married. Everything's ready. The apartment is just the way I imagined it would be, maybe even better. 

I feel like a bird, who builds its nest in one continent, and then without even blinking an eye, flies away to another, once the time to go has come. As the seasons change, no matter how much they are settled in the nest, they just migrate, for the right conditions and a more convenient life. 

This reminds me of one of my favorite cartoons when I was a toddler. I have a vague recollection about it, and don't really remember the entire plot, but I loved "The Wonderful Adventures of Nils". The protagonist boy named Nils would ride on a flying magical goose and visit all these foreign lands. I have a very sweet memory of it. I wanted to be like Nils I guess. 






One of my favorite pastimes as a child was imagining flying. When I was in pre-school I actually even opened the windows to make the room windy, climbed on the highest couch, aimed for the carpet and flapped my arms, hoping that the winds would make me drift. To my surprise, I fell quite hard. Maybe it was because I watched Peter Pan too many times. Hah.





Last night, Doruk and I looked at our apartment. Finally done ! It was beautiful. Did we put too much effort? It seems way too pretty for a temporary place to live. I thought about it. No, not at all. Traditionally, nests are used as a metaphor for the newly weds' house. But tradition assumes you will stay in one place. What they've forgot about the nest metaphor is that the nest is a temporary dwelling for migratory birds. I'm happy to be one. And I'm more than happy to accept that metaphor, and build my life in a nest. It suits my situation perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment